We are living in 2020; everything in our world is evaluating. If we look a few years back, things were not as easy as they are now. We have smartphones, smart cars, and Smart televisions, even our kitchen appliances like Fridge, Microwave, and Juicers even these things are smart, Air condition in our room can be controlled from anywhere in the world through internet and Smartphone. The behavior of people is changing; most people prefer to buy things online than visiting markets.
With all-new technologies and due to change in the buying behavior of consumers, marketing strategies are continuously evolving. It is important to target people in the medium where they spend a lot of their time. Now a day people spend most of their time using Smartphones.
In simple words, if we can understand that making marketing efforts to reach customers through a digital medium is knows as digital marketing.
Digital Marketing vs. Traditional marketing
As all of us know what traditional marketing is, using radio, TV, Newspapers, Banners, flyers, and billboards for marketing purposes is known as traditional marketing. In other words, we can say traditional marketing as an offline marketing strategy. The most common and most tried offline marketing tactics are the following
- Print (magazines, newspapers, etc.)
- Broadcast (TV, radio, etc.)
- Direct Mail (catalogs, postcards, etc.)
- Telephone (telemarketing, sms marketing, etc.)
- Outdoor (billboards, flyers, etc.)
Traditional marketing is still useful, and you can still use traditional marketing to build your brand and to sell your goods, but traditional marketing has a few drawbacks which are
- Traditional marketing is costly, you have to spend a lot of money to print the cards, brochures, TV, radio, and newspaper ads are very costly.
- You have no idea that your targeting strategy is working or not
- It is tough to target the audience
- You cannot measure the success rate of your marketing campaigns
Why is Digital marketing successful than Traditional marketing?
- One of the best things about digital marketing is that you can target your relevant audience, which means digital marketing allows you to reach the best possible buyer of your product.
- Digital marketing is cost-effective, and you have the opportunity to set your budget for your campaigns.
- You have access to data on how many people you have reached through your campaign and the behavior of viewers.
- You have the opportunity to review your digital marketing campaign anytime you want.
- Digital marketing has a high conversion rate.
Drawbacks of digital marketing
Although there are many advantages of digital marketing, there are some drawbacks or disadvantages of digital marketing which must be discussed before moving toward digital marketing these drawbacks are
- You need proper training and skills to use digital marketing strategies.
- There is heavy competition in digital marketing. If your marketing campaign is not effective, you are going to waste money and time.
- If any customer is not happy with your product or service, his feedback will be visible to everyone, which can damage your brand reputation.
Both digital marketing and traditional marketing have advantages and disadvantages; if you want to achieve the maximum results, it is better to use both strategies together.