Schizophrenia is a brain disorder that can disturb your mental functioning. A person with Schizophrenia may find it difficult to differentiate between what is real and what is unreal. In simple words, it can affect the way a person thinks or behave.
In this article, you will be able to read about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of Schizophrenia.
What are the common symptoms of Schizophrenia?
Although there are many ways through which Schizophrenia can affect, we are sharing some of the most common symptoms:
- The cold expression may look similar in all kinds of situations. They are unable to express their expression, especially in sad and hay situations.
- The speech will be confused; other people will have difficulty to understand what they are saying or talking about
- Inability to show emotional expression
- People with any type of Schizophrenia will have a lack of motivation. They even do not care about themselves. In severe cases, they may have catatonia (a type of Schizophrenia).
- Inability to concentrate on something
- Repetitive exposure to hallucination and delusions
What is a hallucination?
One of the most common symptoms of hallucination is listening to different voices like someone is talking to them. You may found them talking to somebody (in actual, there is no one). A person may feel, taste things that are actually not available.
What are Delusions?
In delusions, a person may feel there is somebody that is holding them. They will have some kind of strong believes that, in actual are not real.
Some of the major beliefs can be:
- Someone is trying to control them, or they are under someone’s control
- Another strong belief can be they have powers
- They have special importance no one can be like them
Other major symptoms can be a lack of interest in social activities. They will be limited to the home by realizing that if they came outside, someone might try to harm them. So there will be a loss of social relationships.
Who can experience this?
A teenage or person with early 30 s is most likely to develop these symptoms.
What are the causes of Schizophrenia?
There are following factors that can cause Schizophrenia
The chances of Schizophrenia will be increased if there is any family history.
Another major cause of Schizophrenia is the imbalance of neurotransmitters, especially changes in serotonin and dopamine.
Not all environmental factors cause Schizophrenia, but some of the major factors that can enhance the risk of Schizophrenia are given below:
- Trauma or injury
- Complications during birth
- Due to any viral infection
- Use of drugs
Is there any treatment of Schizophrenia?
Although this is a life-long disorder, through the use of medication, a person can overcome the symptoms and can live a normal life.
Treatment may vary from person to person on the base of symptoms:
- Use of anti psychotic drugs
- Counseling– it will help to control irrelevant beliefs, and they will be able to do their daily activities.
- Family care– this will help them to start life again